Pumpkin Shaped Calzones
Are you taking the kids out trick or treating this year for Halloween? Do you want to make a quick and easy meal that will surely impress even the pickiest of eaters? Then say no more; this Halloween treat your kids with pumpkin shaped calzones. Easy to make and extremely customizable. We used a Wilton miniature cake pan that you can purchase here.
1 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 drops orange gel food colouring or liquid
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Your favourite pizza toppings
- Place water, yeast and sugar in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Allow the yeast to activate for about 5-10 minutes until the mixture becomes creamy and bubbles up.
- Once the yeast mixture has activated add about 2 drops of orange gel food colouring or liquid.
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and then add to the yeast mixture.
- Begin kneading the dough and add the oil part way through.
- Allow the dough to knead for about 5-7 minutes until the ball of dough is smooth and elastic.
- Preheat your oven to 425F
- Roll the dough out to about 1/8 inch thick and cut out squares of dough that are 6x6.
- Spray your miniature pumpkin pan with a light layer of cooking spray.
- Place each dough square into each pumpkin mould.
- Add your favourite pizza toppings and then pinch the dough together to seal.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the dough turns golden brown.
Yields 6-12 calzones based on the thickness of the dough.