French Onion Soup
There is nothing more satisfying and comforting than a nice hot bowl of soup on a cold and chilly day. Our French Onion soup does not disappoint! It's soothing, filling, and absolutely delicious topped with grated Swiss Gruyere cheese and a tiny sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. We serve ours with Swiss Gruyere cheese Crostini on the side. This soup will definitely warm your heart and soul!
6 large onions thinly sliced
2 gloves of minced garlic
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp of butter
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leafs
1 tsp of dried thyme
1/2 cup white wine
8 to 10 cups of beef stock
2 cups of Swiss Gruyere Cheese
Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle on top of bread
1 tsp of sugar to speed up caramelizing of onions
1. Prepare all ingredients and thinly slice the onions.
2. Heat oil and butter over medium heat until the butter has melted.
3. Stir in minced garlic and onions, stirring well to coat all the onions with oil.
4. Stir frequently until the onions reach a rich golden caramelized colour; add white wine to deglaze the pot.
5. Pour beef broth into the onion mixture stirring well; add bay leafs and thyme and bring to a boil.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Reduce heat to a minimum and gently simmer for at least 30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4 to 1 inch slices and toast; shred Swiss Gruyere Cheese and prepare oven safe bowls.
9. Ladle the soup into the bowls and emmerse a slice of toasted French bread into the soup. Optional: top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
10. Top with a generous amount of Gruyere cheese.
11. Broil under direct heat for approximately 5 minutes; until golden brown and bubbly.
12. Serve with a side of Crostini's topped with Gruyere Cheese.